Saturday 5 December 2009

Saturday 28th November - Elizabeth David

Flying solo today, no Miss J. But the car boot is calling me so off I go in search of treasure and oh wow it was worth it. There are lots of guys that do house clearance at the car boot we visit and as I was searching through box after box of books (books were the only items for sale at this stall) I realised that the majority of books were about wine and some on the subject of food and cookery. As I searched I overheard the man who's stall it was telling a friend that the house clearance had been for a food and wine writer, this news for me was very exciting and I searched some more. As I have said before I am always on the lookout for Cookery books to add to my collections. Then I struck gold, this vintage Elizabeth David cookery book 'French Provincial Cooking' which was published in London by Michael Joseph in 1960! It was buried deep and in my excitement to get it out of the box I ripped the spine and am still cross at my self as I write this blog but never mind. I put this in my little pile of books to buy and carried on searching. It was not until I was on the journey home that I started to look at the book in greater detail and that is when I found tucked in the back sleeve an invitation to the food and wine writer to attend Elizabeth Davids memorial service on 1o September 1992 and then the actual memorial service program. I felt like I'd stepped back in time as I looked at these amazingly interesting documents. Amongst these were letters to the writer from Elizabeth and cuttings from magazines and newspapers that Elizabeth wrote back in 1965-1968. I can't wait to read them all. What an incredible treasure!! (£2)

Bought by: MissR

No comments:

Post a Comment